Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Caste system blues




I live above a mini-shantytown that could easily be mistaken for Soweto if it were pulled from its context between two beautiful homes. The terrace from my bedroom overlooks the tin roofs and communal water area. The ceilings appear to be at most 7 feet high. I think maybe 8-10 people live there and share a bathroom that is also shared by the newspaper office. People brush their teeth and bathe outside. They are all low-caste and the surrounding homes are all Brahmin/Chetri families.
Hidden from view. That is how I am starting to see the caste system- at least in the context that I am witnessing it in Nepal. The people who work in my home are in indentured servitude. Low born they follow the family tradition of being a house servant. As far I can tell they might have part of Saturday off but I am not even sure about that. And it is the same fucking day every single day. Cook, clean, iron, wash, cook, go to market, cook dinner for the family and the dinner guests, clean up after dinner, bed. Every single day.
One man that comes to my house, who is considered elite in the media community of Kathmandu, won’t eat food if the low-caste 2 year old has touched it.
Pulled from its context and this looks like exactly what it is.
Hidden from view it is allowed to exist with just a whisper from the elites and academics.

No comments:

Post a Comment